Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Adjusting

Oh, my. Miranda is like a broken tape recorder that whines, "Mama. Mama. Mama," all day long, and I just can't seem to stop it. It goes like this: "Mama." "Yes, honey?" "Mama." "What do you want, honey?" "Mama." And Phoebe has become a bit aggressive and angry with her sister, even hitting and biting. Both are a bit jealous of each other. I give Miranda great credit, though, for keeping up her string of gentle offers of "Hi, Phoebe," as she smiles politely at her angry baby sister. I can't believe how hard it is to parent two toddlers. With great efforts we got out of the house. It involved negotiating intensely with Miranda on which stroller to take and running upstairs to get the sippy cups and snacks that we had forgotten. We finally got to the children's room of the museum and as I lifted Miranda up to the make-a-bird table I noticed the dirty diaper. How on earth am I going to do this alone, without Mark and my parents?

Here's Phoebe as we knew her in China:


Here's the first meeting of our two daughters:


Miranda helping:


Some initial honeymoon moments:


And now note the new permanent expression on Phoebe's face:


I hear that the first week home is always tough. I'll keep that in mind.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there. My mantra with the three under 4 is... this moment won't last forever. Whether it's a blissful one or a horrific one. Deep breaths... remember HypnoBirthing is a life skill not just one for the birthing room. And... be gentle on yourself. You and Mark are an amazing team. The girls will learn to work things out and who knows, maybe even one day, they'll like each other and be buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, our happy girl isn't the same here either. Things will get better....they have to. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. parenting is the hardest job in the world. Don't worry you won't be alone when your parents leave and mark returns to work. We are all here for you..just reach out!!!

    everything is temporary is a good mantra

    ReplyDelete